16 July 2008

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST



Really, if the lower orders don’t set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them?

Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone.

To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

An engagement should come on a young girl as a surprise, pleasant or unpleasant as the case may be.

It is very painful for me to be forced to speak the truth. It is the first time in my life that I have ever been reduced to such a painful position, and I am really quite inexperienced in doing anything of the kind.

All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!

Memory ... is the diary that we all carry about with us.

In married life, three is company, and two is none.

If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being immensely over-educated.

To speak frankly, I am not in favour of long engagements. They give people the opportunity of finding out each other’s character before marriage, which I think is never advisable.

I've now realised for the first time in my life the vital Importance of Being Earnest.

No comments: